POSTING FOR CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT
Furniture and home décor retailer (the “Company”) is a brick and mortar and online retailer of home furnishings and flooring (carpet, rugs, etc.) with store locations in New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn). The Company also operates three restaurants out of its flagship store in Manhattan.
The Company’s mission is to serve by manifesting a shift in the retail paradigm—one in which beauty, experience, and magic are composed onto a revolutionary platform of cause-related products that guide creative expression, celebrate individuality, and cultivate the actualization of home as a sacred space.
Experienced but entrepreneurial-minded Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) to oversee our organization’s ongoing operations and be responsible for improving the efficiency of our business as well as its control environment.
The COO role is a key member of the senior management team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”). Candidates should have direct experience with, and a track record for, improving operations while attracting and leading a talented team through exemplary work ethics and business acumen.
The successful COO will be required to implement and integrate all business functions and to drive sustainable, profitable growth, proactively working with the business to address the paradigm shift currently facing traditional brick and mortar retailers, while maintaining a unique corporate culture of civic awareness and responsibility.
Actively manage and direct daily operations of the company and the work of functional executives in the following key areas:
- Manage the buying group, rationalize the SKU assortment, and optimize the balance between working capital investment and sales growth across the store’s brick-and-mortar and ecommerce platforms; manage vendors/partners to maximize the Company’s working capital and profitability
- Direct transformation of historical/traditional approach to customer outreach with goals that include driving significant improvement in traffic across all channels as well as improving millennial impressions/messaging
- Together with the Merchandising, Visual/Store Design and Sales groups, ensure continuity of message through customer experience engagement
- Create more focused, higher performing sales driven environment to include new incentive programs for high performing employees
- Implement, update and manage the Company’s go forward IT infrastructure, inclusive of the POS, Merchandising, CRM and Ecommerce platform
- Together with the CFO, work to improve the control environment and timely, accurate informational reporting
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures for both retail and eCommerce channels.
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication
- Prepare and present reports and presentations to the CEO on business performance, planning and execution
- Entrepreneurial blood, collegial style
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role within the Retail Industry; 10+ years’ experience in executive roles is a plus
- Understanding of business functions - merchandising/sourcing (domestic and international), marketing/advertising, IT, etc.
- Direct experience in traditional retail and eCommerce.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development; significant experience in project management and IT implementation is a plus
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Outstanding general management, organizational and leadership abilities
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Sharing a passion in the Company’s mission and commitment - continuous improvement in minimizing our collective environmental footprint and maximizing social justice
- BSc/BA degree; MSc/MBA is a plus