Carl Marks Advisors (“CMA”) is a nationally recognized restructuring firm providing the full spectrum of Investment Banking and Advisory services. Headquartered in New York City, CMA helps middle-market business owners, lenders, and investors resolve financial and operational challenges and has expertise in working through complex situations bringing our engagements to a successful close.
CMA specializes in resolving challenges related to the capital structure, liquidity, and underperformance. Engagements may include advising companies, investors, and/or lenders on turnaround or restructuring plans, evaluating strategic alternatives, distressed debt and equity capital raises, mergers and acquisitions, performance improvement, and negotiations with various constituents
The Associate / Analyst will work within on a diverse range of engagements in restructuring, turnaround, bankruptcy and operational improvement, providing analytical & financial modeling support. The position is based in New York City; however, there will be times when the candidate will be required to travel significantly.
Duties include, but are not limited to
- Support client engagement teams to assist in
- Conducting due diligence, vet business plans, and develop strategic alternatives
- Modeling integrated financial statements and 13-week cash flow projections, and other support as needed
- Preparation of financial statement analysis and projections
- Analyzing restructuring proposals and turnaround plan feasibility
- Support M&A and capital raising processes, including drafting marketing materials, managing prospect outreach, diligence requests, negotiation of definitive agreements, and other duties as assigned Synthesizing and analyzing large amounts of data
- Drafting and participating in the preparation of client reports and meetings
- Perform research on companies and industries to assist in the development and critique of client business plans, as well as for proposal efforts for potential new clients
- Gather and present information on industries, companies, and competitive environments.
- Interact with clients, potential investors, attorneys, and others as required
- Respond in a timely manner to requests for data, research, analyses, etc. as needed
- Technical Skills
- Strong analytical, accounting and financial modeling skills
- Ability to construct cash flow models with proficiency to manipulate/distill large amounts of data
- Solid understanding of key financial analyses (ratios, bridges, sensitivity analyses, etc.)
- Adept forecasting capabilities including integrated model (IS/BS/SCF/Debt)
- Ability to write well and prepare presentation materials
- Strong organizational skills
- Proven understanding of Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Soft Skills
- Ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely and clearly
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills in order to successfully interact with all levels of constituents and stakeholders
- Comfortable organizing, synthesizing, and presenting data to team members and/or clients
- Ability to quickly grasp understanding of client operations/processes/business objectives in order to deliver thereon
- Capable of working under deadlines, prioritizing and multi-tasking
- Outstanding ethics, integrity and judgment
- Strong intellectual curiosity
- Ability to complete tasks with limited supervision
- Work Experience
- 2-5 years of work experience in accounting, corporate finance, restructuring advisory or management consulting.
- BA or BS in accounting or finance; 3.5+ GPA preferred
- Additional business experiences a plus
- No relocation provided. Local candidates with direct experience will be given preference